Swarm traps need some type of bait to lure the bees.
There are many types of professional lures available on the market today.
I haven’t too many of them to be very effective.
What should you put into a swarm trap:
- At least 1 frame of old drawn comb
- 3 or 4 frames of foundation
- Lemongrass oil is also commonly used in a swarm trap because the smell mimics that of a queen inside
Does swarm lure work?
- Swarm lures are designed to imitate queen bee pheromones. Lemongrass oil is one of the most common lures used by beekeepers.
What do you put in a swarm trap?
- Most beekeepers use old drawn comb to attract swarms.
How effective are swarm traps?
- Ask any experienced beekeeper, and they will tell you that swarm traps work. Sometimes, it may take several seasons to catch a swarm. Just like in real estate, location makes a difference.